In today’s busy world, we rarely set time aside for ourselves and we tend to ignore our own personal well being. Often times, this is because most of us tend to put others before ourselves. As parents, we tend to fall into the trap of thinking every single need of our children must be met before we can even consider “me time.” Or perhaps you are a caregiver and it’s your job to put the needs of someone else ahead of your own. Whatever the reason, this way of thinking can lead to mental burn out, create health issues and can affect our relationship with others.
It is not only OK, but it is imperative that you take some time out of your schedule for just you. When we neglect ourselves and put off taking a break for any sort of self-care, it can lead to a never-ending cycle that can leave you feeling depleted, both physically and emotionally. The easy solution to this problem is to take care of YOURSELF. Take some “me-time” out of your around-the-clock schedule and treat yourself to something nice and stress-relieving. Refuse to let it make you feel selfish. What it comes down to is if you don’t take care of yourself, you can’t take care of others.
Ways to Promote Self-love
There is no specific rule of thumb to taking care of yourself; it can involve anything you like to do that makes you feel refreshed. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, either. Here is a short list of some simple ideas:
- Spend some time alone, away from the world, in a calm and quiet place. You can go for a morning walk or visit a park. Don’t turn on the TV or laptop. Simply be with yourself.
- Sit quietly in nature and reflect on what has been happening in your life. Appreciate your achievements.
- Take a relaxing Epsom salt bath before bed each night. Add your favorite essential oils.
- Read your favorite book or some poetry.
- Take a yoga class.
- Learn the simple art of meditation.
- Focus your energy on being a beautiful person on the inside rather than focusing on outward beauty.
- Practice setting a routine if you are able. Get up early in the morning, eat healthily throughout the day, get some exercise and meditation, and go to bed early. This will keep your mind and body on the right track and your soul will automatically feel refreshed.
With these simple steps, you can learn to love yourself and bring positive changes to your life.
Spend Time with Your Loved Ones
If you are so busy with work that you feel you rarely get time with your family, then make an effort to change that. Spending time with your loved ones is food for the soul. You feel refreshed and happy when you get enough attention, love, and time from your loved ones and vice versa. To boost the energy level of your mind and body, try to maximize the time you spend with your family, your partner, and your kids. Here are some good ways to do that:
- Arrange specific activities that you love to do with your partner or kids. For example, plan a special night away with your spouse or significant other. Take your kids to their favorite fun spot.
- Always plan ahead if you are usually busy so that you don’t disappoint your family by not showing up.
- Detox from technology. You need a break from your phone, iPad, and laptop in order for you to spend quality time with your family and to actually be present
These steps will help to promote a healthy family life, which will have a positive impact on your mind, body, and soul. Loving your family and loving your life starts with loving yourself.
If you would like to learn more about the programs I offer to help women on their journey to self-love, click here to schedule a free Discovery Session with me.